Sunday 20 December 2009

Network Woes

I'm at work. For LONG periods at a time - we'e talking weeks, not hours here.

And when I'm at work, I can't get inworld.

Thanks to Ajaxlife I can still stay in touch with my friends, but being a blind immobile clot of fog isn't really what I come to SL for.

Especially not when I have a new land to build!

Here's the story: I decided that my neighbours and I had sufficiently little in common that I wouldn't miss them, and vice versa. Yet having a neighboring sim does have some practical uses, especially since Lawria is on an old "Class 4" server and ideally should be restarted at least once a week. Just strolling across the border to wait is rather nice.

But then they decided to change their rating from "mature" to "adult". Now I do understad the reasoning behind this - or at least I'm perfectly willing to assume that there is one. But since well over half the population of Lawria are Europeans, that effectively closed the borders for us. The verification system is not very practical for most off us - the amount of information they ask for could even be in violation of EU laws!

That made the decision to move a lot easier - and as they had also finished building their "internal access route" (formerly, the only route from the market to the rest of the sim was through my market, a trip involving two sim crossings - often rough), I decided that I could leave without inconveniencing them unduly.

Now moving a sim to a different location costs money - real money. And I had nowhere to move to either, only from.

Also - having another sim to stoll across to is very conveninent.

I did a little thinking and a little support chat, and discovered that since adding to the land in the current location was blocked by Linden Labs, I could get the sim moved for free IF I had a location to move it to. That made it easy to buy a homestead - a kind of "quarter-sim" with the same land area but only a quarter of the capacity - and move Lawria alongside that.

So that's what I did.

And then the phone rang, and I find myself here at work with a pristine new land to play in - and I CAN'T GET IN!

No comments:

Post a Comment