Saturday 20 June 2009

Judging by Appearances

While scouring the net for anything remotely interesting, I came across this blog entry.

I ties in neatly with my own way of thinking - I assume that behind every avatar I meet is a 5'3" male who has long ago relinquiched the dream of a sixpack for the reality of a beerkeg. And probably has unpleasant personal habits as well.

What this means is that I do judge the people I meet by their appearance - their appearance as avatars in SL. Equally important is their behaviour - again as they behave in SL. Maybe that makes me shallow, but in this world of appearances I find this the only viable route.

So here are some "Basic Rules, Mistress Lawra, for the Interaction with":

Pay attention to how you look. Jeans and a T-shirt wouldn't attract a second glance from me in RL; it won't in SL either. Stick-figure bodies with DD cup breasts would get a second glance from me in RL, but only to decide whether disgust or pity should take the top position. Eight-foot tall and six foot wide with muscles that would get you tossed out of a Mr. Universe competition on suspicion of stereoid abuse? oh come on - get real! I adjust my "typist-height-estimate" to 5'1". :D

Not that this means you have to look human - I have met enough furries, nekos and other "just plain weird" avatars (including one very nice luminescent green lady) that "human-looking" is not a prerequisite.

Maybe I'm becoming speciesist? Since we can look like whatever we want, I feel that those who prefer to resemble humans should at least make an effort to look a little like RL humans? I know I'm not setting such a shining example myself - last I checked, I was 6'9" in my high-heeled boots. That's a bit much, even if my typist really is unusually tall. I'll chop some inches off my legs as soon as I can log on again...

The other important factor is communication. Do make an attempt to write whole words and complete sentences. Don't attempt to communicate with me in "txtspk". I am fluent in two languages, decent in three more, and could probably get by in another four if I really had to. Txtspk is not among them. "Standard net abbreviations" like lol, afk and brb are OK (unless overused), witing "r u" instead of "are you" is not. I don't want to hear your voice; I don't do voice myself and most of the time the sound is off on my typist's PC. Add to this that my typist is a trained singer and very difficult to impress. ;)

Which leads to the third point: Be polite. Rudeness gets you only rudeness; politeness can get you anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment